Skip to main content

Yreka High School

    Make changes to the header and footer on the "Edit Header and Footer" tab on the left.

    Happenings

    YHS CALENDAR
    Month
    S
    M
    T
    W
    T
    F
    S
    Month
    Sun
    Mon
    Tue
    Wed
    Thu
    Fri
    Sat
    Back to School NIght

    August 31 @ 5:30 Please join us for Back to School Night!

    Siskiyou Central Credit Union will be hosting and ice cream social to follow. 

    Picture Day September 9th

    Picture Day

    Resources

    Spotlight

    About Our School

    About Us

    Yreka High School is a comprehensive high school located in the county seat of Siskiyou County.  Yreka High School was established in 1893; the District was called Siskiyou County Unified School District until 1961 when it became Yreka Union High School District. Originally students came from all over Siskiyou County to attend the high school, but in 1916 the school burned down, resulting in the construction of a new Yreka High School and five other branch high schools built in the communities of McCloud, Mount Shasta, Weed, Dorris, and Fort Jones.  In 1918 a larger, two-story structure was built to replace the destroyed one; this building was used until 1958, when a new school complex was constructed that is used today.  In 1954 the school gymnasium was built, and in 1989 renovations were made when lattice wood siding was placed inside the gym. New bleachers were installed in 2001.  In 2009 the gym floor was resurfaced and the gym walls were repainted and relit, allowing for a brighter feel.

    A state of the art technology center was built in 1992 when the industrial shop facility burned down.  It includes a modern wood shop, a business and computer occupations center, a CAD (Computer Assisted Drawing) studio, and a technology lab. Modernization of the current school facility occurred in 1993, when the classrooms in the two main wings were renovated and the hallways were converted to staff and storage use. This restructuring resulted in the creation of two additional classrooms in the east wing.  A large student union was built in 2000, adjacent to the old cafeteria, with lockers and tables for students. It serves as a meeting place for students before and between class times. The modern, efficient kitchen provides quality food service for students. 

      Continuous improvement to the site includes an agriculture barn built in 1997 and enlarged in 2003, as well as a new greenhouse completed in 2009, with a new cattle barn completed in 2011 and a fenced area slated to be completed during the 2013-2014 school year. The Natural Resources and Landscaping classes worked together to design and are in process of implementing an outdoor classroom.  The outdoor classroom will contain a pond area as well as outdoor workspace and benches for classroom work.  In 2011, the entire heating/air system was redesigned and energy efficient systems were installed, work continues to update the heating and air units and thermometers in the classrooms.